Pixelache Helsinki is a transdisciplinary platform for experimental art, design, research and activism. They are organising this year a more compact edition of their annual festival, called ‘Camp Pixelache’ during on 11-13 May 2012, based on previous Camp Pixelache experiments. The main venue for the event is Arbis, the Swedish-language adult education centre located close to the Finnish National Museum, in central Helsinki.
Camp Pixelache 2012 is designed around one main unconference day on Saturday 12.5, with an overarching theme of ‘Do It With Others’ (D.I.W.O.). How can artists, makers, cultural producers, researchers and activists work collaboratively with each other and audiences, to create new co-production models for artefacts/events with sustainability as the core goal? Within the Arbis venue there will also be demo stalls of various maker, open design, trashlab and hacklab projects.
Several other events will be organised around this main presentation/seminar day: On the Friday evening before confirmed keynote by Vinay Gupta (Bucky-Ghandi Design Institute, IE/UK); Saturday night club event at Dubrovnik organised by Kimmo Modig; Plus several workshops before and after (including for example ‘Hexayurt Sauna Talkoot’ construction work-party, and ‘The Art of Gathering Environmental Data’ discussion-workshop); Lastly there will also be learner-in-residence Melinda Sipos (Kitchen Budapest, HU) for a 1 week period around the festival.
Although the Camp day of 12.5. will be organised around the main D.I.W.O. theme, there are also several pre-determined sub-themes, listed below. Each has a plenary presentation; of which the speaker will also be the facilitator of other participants’ contributions to the theme.
CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS AND DEMOS FOR SATURDAY 12.5. 11.00-20.00
Pixelache are calling out for further short presentations (5-15mins) on the main and sub-themes; as well as for demos to join the Open Design stalls. See: http://pixelache.ac/helsinki/camp-pixelache-2012/ | http://tinyurl.com/pa12-camp-open/
MAIN THEME & SUBTHEMES
- Main theme: Do-It-With-Others (D.I.W.O.) – Plenary speakers & facilitators: Marc Garrett & Ruth Catlow, Furtherfield, London – http://www.furtherfield.org/
- Sub-theme 1: Suomenlinna Money Lab & Creative Neighbourhood Skills – Plenary speaker & facilitator: Pedro Soler, LABoral, Gijon –http://root.ps | http://www.plataformacero.cc/
- Sub-theme 2: The Art of Gathering Environmental Data -Plenary speaker & facilitator: Jennifer Gabrys, Goldsmiths University, London – http://www.gold.ac.uk/design/staff/gabrys/
- Sub-theme 3: Virtuality, Social Identity and Augmented Reality – Plenary speaker & facilitator: Owen Kelly, Arcada University of Applied Sciences, Helsinki – http://www.owenkelly.net/
- Demo Stalls: Open Design, Crafts and Manufacturing -Invited attendees: Kulturlabor Trial & Error, Berlin –http://www.trial-error.org/
The call for presentations is open until the Camp day (12.5):
- Main theme (D.I.W.O.): http://tinyurl.com/pa12-camp-open-diwo
- Sub-theme 1: http://tinyurl.com/pa12-camp-open-neighbourhood
- Sub-theme 2: http://tinyurl.com/pa12-camp-open-environment
- Sub-theme 3: http://tinyurl.com/pa12-camp-open-virtuality
The call for demos is open until 27.4.2012: http://tinyurl.com/pa12-camp-open-design
TRAVEL SUPPORT & OTHER INQUIRIES
Pixelache will be able to offer some support to cover boat and road trips from: Germany, Poland, Sweden, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Belarus & North-West Russia. Please write sooner than later if you wish to confirm and benefit from this scheme as there are limited funds.
For any inquiries, please contact office [-at-] pixelache.ac – http://www.pixelache.ac
This text was kindly provided to us by Andrew Paterson