Direct progress with concern to the “interna ideo” (“internal idea”) of Esperanto is the conscious integration of the concept of a “neutral international language” within the framework of the cultures of sustainability & according to the 3 criteria of
- Human Rights &
The criteria of sustainability (see UN, civil groups – NGOs etc.) are principally constituted & substanciated by the limitation of the Planet’s material & detoxicating ressources. Hence sustainability means that one
- shouldn’t consume more of our geobisofere than can be regenerated &
- shouldn’t pollute the geobiosfere more than can be detoxicated by it.
A measure for the degree of consumption-pollution can be the so called “ecological footprint”, i.e. the mathematically kalkulatable excess (quantitative factor).
In addition there is a factor, which relates to the (also to a certain degree measurable) reduction of the biological & cultural diversity on this Planet & its world.
One of the mayor criteria of sustainable evolution is the so called “resilience”, a physical quantity which relates to the elasticity (or buffer capacity) of an autoekopoietic system of the geobiosfere, including the humane social systems. This, so to speak, guarantees the survival of the system. Herto belongs also the principle of prevention.
Besides ecology, economy & the social, also culture is a decisive factor with concern to the ecologically sustainable evolution of the human society.
The culture of sustainability considers culture itself in all its aspects, & thus also communication, as part of a livable present & future. In regard to this transdisciplinarity & transculturality play an important role in the creation of a global change of mindset, which finally should accomplish both social & ecological justice. This evidently relates to individuals and collectives.
Nowadays all fields of human activity are submitted to examnination concerning their adequateness in the context of a sustainable operation of our world. Retaxation of values & realignment of theoretical premisses & practical politics belong to the prerequisites of a safe & enjoyable future. This also applies to the fundamentals of international communication & its acceptable traits & costs (ecological communication).
A nonethnical neutral international language as Esperanto represents the linguistic part of a sustainable culture in international communication.
The international languagein itself is ecologically sustainable with regad to 2 features:
- Qualitativly Esperanto minimizes social risks for the fact of installing “democratic bilinguism”, i.e. a setup of international communication, in which everybody speaks his own mother tongue & Esperanto (Esperanto as the 2nd language for all.) Nobody suffers linguistic or communicative disadvantages.
- Quantitatively Esperanto minimizes environmental risks for the fact of “ecological appropriateness”, meaning drastic reduction with concern to the dissipation of resources (consumption of material & energy in translation & interpreter services) & general pollution of the geobiosfere. (Just one figure: within the EU every fourth official is in one way or another occupied with language & translation problems!)
A more detailed overview of the problem will be given in an article to come: “Esperanto – ecological, ecomical, social & cultural arguments for a neutral international language”.
Wolfgang Guenther (compilation)
* AVE (Asocio de Verduloy Esperantistay – www.verduloj.org)
* NULA HORO (Transnacia Artkoncepto kun Esperanto kile Komuna Lingvo, nula [dot] horo [dot] arto [at] web [dot] de)
This post is also available in: Esperanto
Wolfgang Günther. Wolfgang GUENTHER (1941) D-ro med, anestezisto, ekologo, artisto (poshtarto, liriko), esperantisto (kunfondinto de la Asocio deVerduloy Esperantistay - AVE, www.verduloj.org/ave_de.htm). Germano, vivanta en Hispanio. Chefe interesijas pri aplikado de esperanto kadre de kulturoy de dauropoveco (strebas al ekologia amendo de la statuto de la Universala Esperanto-Asocio - UEA, aktuala agado celas tion efektivigi dum la venonta Universala Kongreso de Esperanto en Kopenhago 2011). Eldonas chiuyare la almanakon "Kiosko de Levanto - libera, skeptika, transkultura", kiu estas poliglota artistolibro kun esperanto kiel komuna lingvo sur neprofita bazo & kun kompenso de la produktkostoy per investo en rearbarigay proyektoy. La libro haveblas ye la autoro. Chi proyekto sin prezentas sub la nomo "NULA HORO - Transnacia Artokoncepto kun Esperanto kiel Komuna Lingvo", en kiu kunlaboras kelkay aliay esperantistoy & membroy de EGO (Esperanto-Grupo Guardamar del Segura). W. Guenther. AP 270, 03170 Rojales - Ciudad Quesada (Alicante), Hispanio - Spain email@example.com