The Samuel Dorsky Museum of Art announces the programs they have organized in conjunction with the exhibition Dear Mother Nature, Hudson Valley Artists 2012, on display in the Alice and Horace Chandler Gallery through November 4.
The program, developed by curator Linda Weintraub and the exhibiting artists, seeks to increase audience understanding of individual artworks as well as exhibition themes and consists mainly of interactive performances, gallery talks, workshops and participatory ceremonies, planned from July to November, accompanying the exhibition.
Saturday, August 25
- 2 pm – Free Gallery talk with Linda Weintraub, curator of Dear Mother Nature: Hudson Valley Artists 2012
- 3 pm – Ceremonial meal with artist Mary Anne Davis, “Mala Meal”
- Saturday, September 15
- 2 pm – Free Gallery talk with Dear Mother Nature: Hudson Valley Artists 2012 curator, Linda Weintraub, and artists Christy Rupp and Elisa Pritzker
- 2:30 pm – Performance: Jan Harrison will perform in “Animal Tongues.”
- 3:30 pm – Demonstration: Hudson Valley artist Barbara Bash will show examples of her journaling work and demonstrate the heaven, earth and human principles at the heart of this process in a spontaneous drawing and writing performance.
Saturday, September 22
- 2 pm – Free Gallery talk with Dear Mother Nature: Hudson Valley Artists 2012 curator, Linda Weintraub, and artists Angela Basile, Claudia McNulty, Meadow, Kathleen Anderson, Laura Moriarty, Ilse Schreiber-Noll, and Leslie Pelino
- 3 pm – Demonstration/workshop: “The Language of Natural Materials”
Saturday, September 29
- 2 pm – Free Gallery talk with Linda Weintraub, curator of Dear Mother Nature: Hudson Valley Artists 2012, and artists Raquel Rabinovich and Gina Palmer
- 2:30 pm – Poetry Slam: Leila Goldthwaite – “Cheese Torte and Fish Tales: Poetry Theme Slam and Open Mic”
- 3:30 pm – Workshop with artist Riva Weinstein – “Lifeline” creates a link between Mother Nature and humanity. Bring found objects. You will use them to create spontaneous and ephemeral assemblages. All ages are welcome.
Saturday, October 20
- 2 pm – Drawing Performance: Jaanika Peerna, artist, and David Rothenberg, musician, respond to each moment’s breezes, moisture, sounds and many other offerings from Mother Nature through movement, drawing, and sound.
- 3 pm – Dance Performance: “Tree – a Dance: trees we see, trees we dream, trees of our lineage”
- Susan Osberg – choreography and direction, work with Dancers Company: Marika Blossfeldt, Elizabeth Castagna, Shannon Murphy and Susan Osberg, Tom Moore – photography, Steve Blamires – readings from his book, “Celtic Tree Mysteries”
You can also check our previous post about the exhibition Dear Mother Nature here.