Taking place on June 16th and 17th, 2012 in London, UK. At the central London Universities – SOAS, the Institute of Education (IOE) and University College London (UCL).
Organised by the Campaign against Climate Change with the School for Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) Department for Development Studies. Opening plenary in IOE, Thornhaugh Street off Russell Square, Russell Square Tube.
Rio to Rio: 20 wasted years?
- Between 1992 and 2012:
- The global surface temperature has risen by 0.38C.
- The Arctic sea ice has decreased by 2.94 million square kilometres.
- The CO2 in the atmosphere has risen by 35.19 PPM.
- 30 661 900 hectares of Brazilian forest have been lost.
- More than 431,215.08 million tonnes of CO2 have been emitted.
- The amount of CO2 emitted per year has risen from 21,421.45 to 30,398.42 million tonnes.
A wide range of workshops and seminars – and an exciting main plenary – are planned.
Titles include :
- “Food Security how can we stop a tragedy unfolding?”
- “Green Energy versus ‘Extreme’ Energy”
- “One Million Climate Jobs”
- “Inequity is not only bad for society but a barrier to dealing effectively with the ecological crisis”
- “Renewing Political Commitment to win the global battle against eco-calamity: a lost cause or is there a way forward?”
- “We will not achieve environmental justice without a fundamental shift in values”
- “New legal frameworks for a new era of environmental progress and justice”
- “Can London lead the way in the fight against climate meltdown?”
and more workshops on: Green growth vs De-growth; bioenergy and land grabs; forests and biodiversity; aviation; geo-engineering; oceans; Zero Carbon Britain by 2030; arctic methane time bomb; generational justice; climate refugees;civil disobedience; “fracking”; population, gender and climate change; false solutions; TREC: energy from the deserts…and more.
9.00 – 10.00 Registration, Coffee
10.00 Conference opens: intro at Institute of Education Students’ Union
10.30 Session 1
12.00 Plenary in UCL
2.45 Session 2
4.15 Session 3
5.30 End of sessions
Coffee, drinks, music in IOE SU bar
11.00-12.00 Registration, coffee, stalls
12.30 Session 4
2.30 Session 5
4.00 Session 6
5.30 People’s Assembly
Ongoing discussions, drinks, music in IOE bar.
To register a place at the conference click here.
This is a free event but donations to help the campaign would be appreciated.
Luis Bravo. Luis Bravo is a Business Management student at Universidad Iberoamericana in Puebla, México. He was an exchange student at Leuphana Universität, doing a 3-months Internship at Cultura21 in the framework of the Leuphana Plus Program, and continues to collaborate with Cultura21.